Interesting Upcoming Events

Metabolism of Cities Community Hub
Back to topic list

A place for us to share interesting upcoming events

Relevant events might be webinars, conferences, screenings, meetings etc that are related to cities, urban metabolism, data management, sustainable cities circular economy and the like.

This is a place for you to add any events you know about to share with the community

Development Dialogue: Unravelling South Africa's Just Transition: Stakeholder Perspectives
Join us for an online Development Dialogue on Tuesday 7 June from 10:00 to 12:00. For more details see Unravelling South Africa's Just Transition: Stakeholder Perspectives. RSVP: natasha@tips.org.za - login details will be communicated to confirmed participants.

Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS) is an independent, non-profit, economic research institution established in 1996 to support economic policy development. TIPS undertakes quantitative and qualitative research, project management, dialogue facilitation, capacity building and knowledge sharing. Its areas of focus are: trade and industrial policy, sustainable growth, and inequality and economic inclusion.

The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), CEEW Centre for Energy Finance (CEEW-CEF) and the Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA), are pleased to invite you to a webinar on 'The Road to Recovery with India’s First Green Window' on 07 July 2020, 1700-1830 hrs IST (0730-0900 hrs EST).

As India prepares for its economic recovery post the pandemic, a huge strategic opportunity lies in greening financial flows and investing in green projects in the country. This will ensure that new assets create sustainable clean jobs, are good for the air quality and the environment, and increase India’s energy independence as aligned with the Government’s Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.

IREDA plans to establish a dedicated 'Green Window' to expand its focus on the critical yet nascent clean energy segments – such as storage, hybrid projects, e-mobility and distributed renewable energy. The Green Window will work to develop these underserved segments with greater access to finance. It has the potential to play a market-making role by using strategies such as risk mitigation, aggregation of small projects to diversify risk, and to scale strategic public-private co-investments, demonstration projects and market development activities.

The webinar will highlight how catalytic green finance mechanisms can make a strong impact on accelerating India’s clean energy transformation. IREDA, NRDC and CEEW will also be releasing a draft plan for operationalising the Green Window. Read more here

Register here

These are some interesting events. Thanks for sharing.
What is the added value of having these here? Are these events that aren't listed on the community events website for some reasons?

Yes so this is a place to share events that might be of interest until there is a volunteer friendly button to add an event without going into the backend

The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) and Carbon Tracker are pleased to invite you to a webinar to discuss the impact of COVID-19 on the energy transition:

Date: Monday, 6 July 2020 at 16:00 CEST

Speakers:

Dolf Gielen, Director of the IRENA Innovation and Technology Centre
Kingsmill Bond, Energy Strategist at the Carbon Tracker Initiative

Moderator: Elizabeth Press, IRENA Director of Planning and Programme Support

About: The COVID-19 crisis has disrupted the global economy and shaken the fossil fuel system. Global governments have committed trillions to recovery and have created a space for policymakers and institutions to put in place a sustainable energy system. IRENA will present its latest analysis on Post-COVID recovery measures, while Carbon Tracker will present its latest report, Decline and Fall: the size and vulnerability of the fossil fuel system.

To register: CLICK HERE

Hey Kim just FYI, I've started working on this task, and it shouldn't take too long, so the form will soon be available. You may want to upload them there straight away.

Also, we may want to establish some policies around our events. What is within our scope? I'll make a task for it, would be good to get a handle on that to guide people (and ourselves!).

Events can now be added directly to the site, see details here.

I see Kim. Looks like Paul solved it in the meantime :)

Nice! Will set this up 😊

Online course for Green Industrial Policy

A new course that has been developed by the Partnership for Action on Green Economy, on "Green Industrial Policy: Promoting Competitiveness and Structural Transformation."

The course forms part of PAGE's "Learning for a Green Recovery" initiative, and is designed to advance learning on green industrial policy at a high technical level - providing current policymakers with an immediate building block as countries plan their economic responses to COVID-19, and supporting universities and training institutions in their quest to develop the green leaders of tomorrow.

The course can be taken online at the United Nations Institute for Training and Research's UN CC:e-Learn platform (unccelearn.org). For more information, please contact Colm Hastings (colm.hastings@unitar.org).

Hi Kim, thanks for this! Do remember that there is now a way to directly add this to the site as well.

What happened to the events page on community.moc? It doesn't show the public community events anymore, only the MoC specific ones. Is this because we haven't agreed yet on any guidelines as to which events should be published?

The main reason is that it's still quite messy in the Community Hub in terms of code, and I indeed can do with some guidance from someone who decides what goes where... then I'll make sure it gets done properly.

Makes sense. I thought that we had a task for this already that Aris was on, but couldn't find it, so I just made it: https://metabolismofcities.org/tasks/44971/ (For some reason there is a lot of space between the list items there...?)
I want to try and give some guidance there, unless someone else picks it up.

Copy that, thanks. The spacing issue is something I know about, need some time to work on this, related to a bigger formatting thing.